Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day Two: Struggle to Find/Maintain Innovation & Useful Contacts

Day two. I'm behind. In class today, D'Arcy emphasized the importance of having our contacts, interviewees, and other creative story ideas all in check. But I feel scatter brained. I have one vague idea, a blank address book, and a large question mark scribbled across June 2nd of my assignment notebook. Next, we were handed flip cameras we will be using to interview and record our Chitown adventures with (my first video assignment is posted). We took our cameras into the Ferncliff cemetary and were told to get comfortable with talking on tape, recording what we see and feel in atmospheres around us. We interviewed others in the class after reviewing the do's and do not's involved in a propper interview. That certainly clarified the interview aspect, and now I need contacts to put these tips to use. Here is a little tatse of my thoughts thus far.

I want to continue pursuing the idea of architecture. I need to contact the boat tours, walking tours...and see if I can interveiw one of the actual tour guides; pick thier brain on further information regarding architecture in the city of Chicago. Who were the architects, what was thier inspiration, etc. I really want to dig deeper and find the stories behind the buildings. Now I need to couragesouly click the "contacts" button of the website and start calling some numbers!

Another topic idea. Night life in Chicago. More specifically, a night in the life of the body guard for example. There was once mention in the movie "Knocked Up" where the body guard states he can only let in a certain percentage of african americans into the club a night. I can already see the headline..."Are you in?" What determines who gets into the night clubs? Age, ethnicity, gender? What kinds of experiences do these people at the door witness? Violence, discrimination? What are thier thoughts on the night life in the city? What would they change if they had the opportunity?

Thinking of the typical magazine, what more would readers be interested in? I guess I should be calling and setting up interviews...I leave on Sunday, after all!

Until next time,
Alissa (A.K.A very frazled feature writer/researcher)

No comments:

Post a Comment